Monday, January 10, 2011

What Were They Reading When You Were Born?

A fun dealie-bobber, courtesy of the fine folks at the Office of Letters and Light today. We've all seen the site where you can find out what the number one song was on the day you were born. Now there's a literary version!***

If you go to Biblioz and enter the pertinent data, you'll find out the fiction and non-fiction bestsellers from the week you were born. (Be sure to use the correct date format of DATE-MONTH-YEAR, not MONTH-DATE-YEAR.) Then your job is to come back here and report your findings in the comment section below.

I did it. I was imagining happy little families out in the happy little maternity ward waiting room, reading happy little stories, awaiting my birth.

Which books were they, I wondered.

Well. Lemme tell ya.

THIS:

AND THIS:

Is it any wonder I turned out the way I did?

What were your books? I look forward to the answers.

*** Brilliant reader M. Howalt pointed out that BibliOZ can be used as a tool for writers who are researching a particular time period for their stories!

10 comments:

  1. This is fun. And actually pretty helpful. There are a few significant years/dates in a story I'm writing in which I would like to know what people may be reading. Thanks!
    I personally got ... The Covenant by James A. Michener. There's some Stephen King, Ken Follett and Jean M. Auel on the top ten there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does explain your love of pastry (canoli). ;) I got Tinker. What the hell is that? Also though, Watership Down and Jaws! That's kinda neat! And somehow I knew All The President's Men. Must've seen it somewhere else on a bday list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I never thought of that -- a research tool! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Watership Down, was just reading about it the other day, trying to remember the rabbits' special terms for things like death (stopped running) and any number higher than four (hrair).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, LOL, this is a great idea.

    I just checked and the first in the list is Lolita; third in the list is Dr Zhivago, which has a connection for me; I used to work with Boris Pasternack.

    Now, you might not believe this, but it's true. He was ex-military and wouldn't say whether he was a relation or even whether that was his real name. He worked in QA.

    One thing I was fairly sure of, though - it wasn't the author himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmn... interesting. I'll go check but if its the Godfather, I don't mind! I love that book and movie(s)!

    Stay Happy and Positive!

    besos,

    ML


    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum and The Complete Scarsdale Medical Diet by Herman Tarnower. I've read neither. LOL! I haven't read any on the list! That's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He did have a son who was an engineer. :) But this guy was probably too young to be him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen bloggers talking about making new reading lists for 2011. I think I'll use my BibliOZ list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm embarrassed to admit I've neither read nor watched it. I have the DVD set downstairs, but I've been looking for light comedy when I watch television lately.

    ReplyDelete