Sunday, April 10, 2011

May the Beats Be Ever in Your Favor

Jennifer Lawrence will play Katniss Everdeen in the upcoming film

Okay.
A little embarrassed by my fangirl squeeing over Hunger Games last weekend.

But...

Yes...

I read the whole damn series again this week.

In my defense, this time I was reading it with a critical eye, looking for technical elements -- how she set up the plot, her sentence structure, et cetera. I'm still amazed at how well she does grabbing the reader and never letting go, not for an instant. There is always a sense of peril. Safe times are only found in retrospect, in that, "Okay, I guess it really was okay after all," kind of way. But you don't believe it at the time because everything and everyone is suspect. Blake Snyder talks about how a character's goals and stakes must be primal at their root -- love, survival, protection, sex... It doesn't get much more primal than this!

It took me until the second book to realize the story was written in present tense. Unbelievable. That's usually something I notice in the first paragraph and have to grit my teeth to get past.  She executed it perfectly, I think, and it could not have suited the anxious, fast-paced immediacy of the story better.

On second reading, I was equally engrossed. Only in the third book did I start skimming. Exposition galore. Necessary, though, I suppose. We're in a new place with new rules.

I do wish the last bits of the series were a little more fleshed out instead of summarized, but I guess it couldn't go on forever.

M. Howalt -- you asked in the comments last week what made the series compelling. My friend Samantha wrote an excellent post on the series here. Check it out. I agree with everything she says (and am clearly still fangirling because I got happy chills reading the title of her article, heh).

***

In my personal realm, I remain a foggy-headed, migraine-laden hermit. Gotta snap out of that somehow, someday.

But, hey, it hasn't been a total waste. Besides falling in love with a series (which is such a great feeling), I also managed this:



























My novel! All in one place! All the pieces! (Although some are vague [solves problem] or drawn in broad strokes.) Redoing  the major beats on red cards was a treat. I'm an office supply junkie and a visually-oriented person. The red cards make it feel concrete and prove to me that it's not all an amorphous smear of a cloud. It has the bones! Look! Right there! ;)

Look at Act One -- so many cards. Look at the second half of Act Two, so few cards. Not that big a deal, I think. The second half of Act Two is where I've drawn in broad strokes, labeling major elements. I think I pretty much  wrote the entire first act on the cards up there! Lots of details that don't need to be there. I'm still figuring all of this out, though.

The pirate ship was already there, an unintentional metaphor for how my sons like to shoot cannons of distraction at me at all hours of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment